Historic Square

The Historic Square, formerly known as the Antebellum Plantation, is located on the north side of the mountain, along Robert E. Lee Boulevard across from the Crossroads area and adjacent to and behind Stone Mountain Inn.

Sparked by interest in the film Gone With The Wind, the Stone Mountain Memorial Association decided to reconstruct an antebellum plantation at Stone Mountain. They hired Mrs. Christie McWorther, an expert on antiques. She located most of the structures and furnishings for the plantation.

Historic Square was opened in 1963 and was originally known as Stone Acres Plantation and later as the Antebellum Plantation before being renamed Historic Square.

The plantation was hosted for the first few years by actress Butterfly McQueen. She was known as Prissy for her role in Gone With the Wind.

J. J. Maddox General Store

Allen House

Storage Crib

Well

Doctor's Cabin

Thornton House

Slave Cabins

Barn

Farmyard

Coach House

Smokehouse

Necessary House

Vegetable Garden

Cookhouse

Davis House

Formal Garden and Gazebo

Brides Cottage

Schoolhouse

J. J. Maddox General Store

The main entrance and gift shop was formerly known as Shelton's Store and is now the J. J. Maddox General Store. The building was constructed in the 1830s and was located in Orange, Georgia.

Allen House

The Allen House was formerly known as the Kingston House. It represents the home of the plantation's overseer.

The Allen House was built around 1845 as the manor house of the Bryan Allen family plantation about six miles from Kingston, Georgia.

The unusual tapered, octagonal front columns were each made from eight single pieces of heart pine all from the same tree.

Dining Room

Dining Room

Parlor

Parlor

Child's Bedroom

Keeping Room

Kitchen

Kitchen

Master Bedroom

Loom Room

Storage Crib

Well

Doctor Chapmon Powell's Cabin

Originally called Mammy's Cabin, the building served as Dr. Powell's home, office, and pharmacy. It was built in northeast Atlanta in 1826 at what is now 1218 Clairmont Road. It features keyed log construction.

Thornton House

Built in 1790, the Thornton House is the oldest at the plantation and is the oldest restored house in Georgia.

Boys' room

Dining room

Dining room

Dining room

Girl's room

Girl's room

Master bedroom

Parlor

Parlor

Photo from the 1930s shows large former front porch and taller chimneys

Photo from the 1960s after relocation

Slave Cabins

Historic Square's clapboard slave cabins were moved intact from the Graves Plantation near Covington, Georgia, where they were built between 1825 and 1840.

Barn

The barn comes from Calhoun, Georgia. It was built in the early 1800s. Here you'll find a Daniel Pratt cotton gin and many other farm tools.

Farmyard

The farmyard has its own page here.

Coach House

The Coach House was built at Stone Mountain using antique timbers and handmade bricks.

The Coach House and Barn features several antique carriages.

Smokehouse

The Smokehouse was built between 1825 and 1848. It was moved intact from the Graves plantation near Covington, Georgia. All of the framing and most of the siding are original.

Necessary House

The Necessary House was built of handmade brick. It was moved intact from an old plantation near Talbotton, Georgia.

Vegetable Garden

Vegetable gardens were a key part of antebellum plantations.

Cookhouse

Food was cooked in a separate house for fire safety.

Like the Coach House, the Cookhouse was built at Stone Mountain using antique lumber and handmade bricks. It has many antique utensils including a wooden butter churn.

Davis House

The Davis House was formerly known as the Dickey House. It is the manor house of the plantation. It was built in the 1840s at Dickey, Georgia, near Albany, Georgia on a one-thousand-acre plantation. It remained occupied by the ancestors of the original owners until it was moved to Stone Mountain in 1961.

The roof, porches, and chimneys were removed and the house was quartered when it was moved over two hundred miles to Stone Mountain, where master carpenters lovingly reassembled it.

Boy's room

Children's room

Dining room

Dining room

Dining room

Dining room

Girl's room

Girl's room

Master bedroom

Master bedroom

Mother-in-law's room

Mother-in-law's room

Music room

Music room

Parlor

Parlor

Parlor

Study

Study

Study

Summer dining room

Warming kitchen

Warming kitchen

Washroom

Formal Garden

The Formal Garden was used for relaxing and for entertaining visitors.

Bride's Cottage

The Bride's Cottage is used as the plantation office and is not open to the public.

Schoolhouse

Powell Academy Schoolhouse was built around 1875. Relocated to Stone Mountain in 1987, it was one of the latest major additions to the plantation. It was originally located on South Goddard Road in the Klondike community of southern DeKalb County. Named after George Washington Powell, who donated the land, it housed 25 to 30 students.