Over years of exploring at Stone Mountain, we found many interesting things, and we figured out most of them. However, several mysteries remain unsolved.1. Square hole
1. This hole was cut into the stone near some quarries to the north of the Skyride parking lot. It measures about nineteen feet wide, about thirteen feet deep, and about six feet high. It was cut using precisely drilled and closely spaced holes. Did the hole have a purpose? Was a large piece of granite needed? Was there something here that was removed?
2. These three structures are located next to the railroad tracks behind the grist mill overflow lot.
3. These steps and associated stones, both quarried and natural, are located near the grist mill. It may have once been a homestead but thre is no sign of a chimney. Update: There was a Venable cabin near the grist mill and this is probably it.
4. This large structure is located near the largest quarries, just to the west of the rail shop. It is made of huge quarried granite blocks. It is about 85 feet long, 23 feet deep, and up to about eight feet high.
5. This smaller structure is located near the largest quarries, just to the west of the above structure. It too is made of huge quarried granite blocks. The back corner abuts the corner of a barbed wire fence.
6. These blocks are located to the north of and across Robert E. Lee Boulevard from the dam between Venable Lake and Stone Mountain Lake. While there are quite a few of them, we haven't counted exactly how many. Some are quarried stone but most are concrete. They have threaded studs extending upwards from their top surfaces. Many of them are aligned as if they were a part of a large conveyor. They were probably used for some sort of quarry-related operations but we would like to know more. Update: They were foundations for rail lines used for quarry operations.
7. This platform is located above the eastern end of the South Quarry. There are various studs and hooks embedded in the mountain nearby. It was probably used for quarrying operations but we would like to know more.
8. This deep blasted hole is located above the South Quarry near the 2003 plane crash site. We assume it was used for a hoisting pole but we would like to know more.
We encourage anyone having information about any of these mysteries to please contact us. Details will be appreciated and will be added to this page. Also, if you have any mysteries of your own, please let us know and we will post them here if we can't explain them.